Join an engineering firm that focuses exclusively on renewable energy systems decarbonizing buildings across Canada.
Rathco ENG is looking for a Senior Building Mechanical Engineer to join our team and aiming for individuals located in either the Greater Toronto-Hamilton Area or the Greater Vancouver Area.
We want a driven and passionate Professional Engineer who is looking to progress in their career development and grow into an Operational and Technical Team Leader. We will provide exposure and internal training in the areas of district energy, geo-exchange, wastewater energy exchange, and biomass energy systems as these are the technologies we regularly work with in addition to air-source heat pumps and heat recovery systems.
We provide modelling and detailed design work for all aspects of mechanical designs for renewable energy systems, including both process support and building services, and coordinate with all other core fields to provide seamless multi-discipline project delivery all out of our Canadian head office in Guelph, Ontario. Our team members work in a hybrid office/home arrangement allowing us to provide a flexible lifestyle while delivering high-quality renewable energy projects. Our projects can range from single-building geo-exchange, air source heat pumps, and solar projects to city-scale district energy projects that utilize wastewater energy exchange, industrial waste heat, and biomass. As a result, we see a large variety of projects and new challenges regularly in sizes ranging from a few thousand to hundreds of thousands in engineering fees. We need Mechanical Engineers who are flexible in their thinking to provide recommendations for designs over a wide range of topics.
The successful candidate will:
- Analyze client technical specifications and requirements in terms of mechanical engineering principles and technology requirements.
- Lead and supervise the preparation of mechanical system designs and oversee drawing and 3D model preparation.
- Generate, review, and take ownership of contract documents and specifications primarily as they relate to mechanical requirements.
- Interact internally and with external clients to coordinate and achieve project objectives in a timely manner.
- Create a team environment and act as a mentor and leader to team members (both junior engineers and engineering technicians).
- Conduct QA/QC reviews of mechanical designs.
- Ensure technical communication is clear, concise, and well understood by partners across different levels of management (both internally and with external clients).
- Communicate and interface regularly with clients as well as vendors and contractors.
Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum of 5 years of proven experience within the engineering consulting industry, with preference given to experience with building HVAC, plumbing, renewables, and building energy modelling.
- P.Eng. designation in Ontario or B.C.
- Detailed understanding of relevant codes and standards.
- Familiarity with REVIT and AutoCAD is an asset.
- Flexibility and adaptability to handle a wide range of client and project types and requirements.
- Strong analytical, mechanical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to lead and multitask in a team environment while maintaining a high degree of attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to be able to optimally express technical information to multiple audiences including clients, contractors, and field staff.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license in Ontario or B.C. and be able and willing to travel within Ontario or B.C. and Canada as required.
As a diverse and inclusive organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. Rathco ENG is an equal-opportunity employer. Upon request, Rathco ENG will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.
At Rathco ENG, our mission is to reimagine the engineering business to deliver cost-effective, innovative, low-carbon energy projects. We challenge the status quo with smart, innovative, and creative problem solvers. Join our team and help us come up with new solutions to ensure buildings, communities, and entire cities are made sustainable for generations to come.
Canada is targeting carbon neutrality by 2050. Business as usual will not get us there. Real solutions are needed now.
We are doing this by:
Communicating - We focus on our client's needs to get a deep understanding of what a successful project looks like to them. Costs, goals, phasing, and dealbreakers are just some of the items we take seriously.
Customizing - We adapt our engineering to suit each individual project. We do not duplicate solutions from one project to another. Our proven processes ensure that our clients are getting the best-fit solution for their projects. Your project is unique; you deserve unique engineering.
Innovating - We integrate modern technologies in unique ways to accelerate high-volume workflows. This frees our team to focus on new ideas which enhance our delivered energy solutions while meeting mission-critical objectives.
- People First - We look after our people so that they can better look after you.
- Honesty - Sustainable energy helps our clients create sustainable businesses. Saying otherwise is not being honest.
- Trust - We earn our clients’ trust by providing services that demonstrate our deep understanding of their energy needs and risks.
- Passion - We are passionate about engineering the best solutions for our clients that lower their costs and environmental footprint.
- First Principles - We find the most fundamental truths and build our projects from there.